Identification of Research Problem
· A research problem is a question that researcher wants to answer or a problem that a researcher wants to solve.
· Identification & formulation of a research problem is the first and most important step of the research process.
· Selection of research problem depends on several factors such as researcher’s knowledge, skills, interest, expertise, motivation & creativity with respect to the subject of inquiry.
· Generally, a broad area is selected & then a broad topic is delimited or narrowed down to a specific one sentence statement of the problem.
· This step of the research process is considered as the most difficult & challenging, & need slots of time.
IDEFINITION RESEARCH PROBLEM
“A problem is an interrogative sentence or statement that asks what relation exists between two or more variable. The answer to question will provide what is having
sought in the research.” – Kerlinger
“A situation for which we have no ready & successful response by instinct or by previous acquired habit. We must find out what to do’, i.e. the solution can be found out only after an investigation.” – R.S. Woodworth
Thus a research problem is an area of concern where there is a gap in the knowledge base needed for professional practices.
SOURCES OF RESEARCH PROBLEM