Basic Or pure Research
· What is research?
Research is defined as the creation of new knowledge and/or the use of existing knowledge in a new and creative way so as to generate new concepts, methodologies and understandings. This could include synthesis and analysis of previous research to the extent that it leads to new and creative outcomes.
Types of Research:-
Fundamental/ Basic/ Pure research
What is basic /pure research?
Basic research is the research to find the basic knowledge or to refine the basic knowledge. Basic research is also called pure research and fundamental research.
The basic purpose of this research is to expand knowledge.Basic research creates new ideas, new principles, new theories that are not immediately applied in practical life. But later this basic research helps in applied research where scientist uses this basic research to utilize it in practical life.
The concept of basic research emerged between the late 19th century and early 20th century in an attempt to bridge the gaps existing in the societal utility of science.
Examples ofBasic/Pure Research:-
· An investigation looking at what whether stress levels influence how often students engage in academic cheating.
· A study looking at how caffeine consumption impacts the brain.
· A study assessingwhethermen or women are more likely to suffer from depression.
· Characteristics of Basic Research:-
1. Basic research is analytical in nature.
2. It aims at theorizing concepts and not solving specific problems.
3. It is primarily concerned with the expansion of knowledge and not with the applicability of the research outcomes.
4. Basic research is explanatory in nature.
5. Basic research is carried out without any primary focus on possible practical ends.
6. It improves the general knowledge and understanding of different fields of study.
· Importance of Basic Research:-
1. Acquisition of New Knowledge: Basic research results in new knowledge. It is responsible for many research breakthroughs in different fields of study and it is often considered as the pacesetter in technological and innovative solutions.
2. Basic research also enhances the understanding of different subject matters and provides multiple possible dimensions for interpretation of these subject matters.
3. Findings of fundamental research are extremely useful in expanding the pool of knowledge in different disciplines.
4. Basic research offers the foundation for applied research.
· Limitation of Basic Research
1. Findings from pure research have little or no immediate practical implications. However, these findings may be useful in providing solutions to different problems, in the long run.
2. Fundamental research does not have strict deadlines.
3. Basic research does not solve any specific problems.
· Types of Basic/Pure research
Typically, basic research can be exploratory, descriptive or explanatory; although in many cases, it is explanatory in nature. The primary aim of this research approach is to gather information in order to improve one’s understanding, and this information can then be useful in proffering solutions to a problem.
· Basic Research Method:-
An interview is a common method of data collection in basic research that involves having a one-on-one interaction with an individual in order to gather relevant information about a phenomenon. Interview can be structured, unstructured or semi-structured depending on the research process and objectives.
In a structured interview, the researcher asks a set of premeditated questions while in an unstructured interview, the researcher does not make use of a set of premeditated questions. Rather he or she depends on spontaneity and follow-up questioning in order to gather relevant information.
On the other hand, a semi-structured interview is a type of interview that allows the researcher to deviate from premeditated questions in order to gather more information about the research subject. You can conduct structured interviews online by creating and administering a survey online on form plus.
Observation is a type of data-gathering method that involves paying close attention to a phenomenon for a specific period of time in order to gather relevant information about its behaviors. When carrying out basic research, the researcher may need to study the research subject for a stipulated period as it interacts with its natural environment.
Observation can be structured or unstructured depending on its procedures and approach. In structured observation, the data collection is carried out using a predefined procedure and in line with a specific schedule while unstructured observation is not restricted to a predetermined procedure.
An experiment is a type of quantitative data-gathering method that seeks to validate or refute a hypothesis and it can also be used to test existing theories. In this method of data collection, the researcher manipulates dependent and independent variables to achieve objective research outcomes.
Typically, in an experiment, the independent variable is modified or changed in order to determine its effects on the dependent variables in the research context. This can be done using 3 major methods which are controlled experiments, field experiments, and natural experiments
A questionnaire is a data collection tool that is made up of a series of questions to which the research subjects provide answers. It is a cost-effective method of data gathering because it allows you to collect large samples of data from the members of the group simultaneously.
Basic research is an important research method because it exposes researchers to varying dimensions within a field of study. This proves useful, not only for improving scholarship and the general knowledge-base, but for solving problems as is the concern of applied research.
When carrying out basic research, the investigator adopts one or more qualitative and quantitative observation methods which includes case studies, experiments and observation. These data collection methods help the researcher to gather the most valid and relevant information for the research.
In the case of using a survey or questionnaire for data collection, this can easily be done with the use of Form plus forms. Formplus allows you to create and administer different kinds of questionnaires, online and you can easily monitor and categories’ your form responses too.